Blue cheese and walnuts, what a wonderful combination! We have been eating a lot of salads lately and try to keep from getting tired of the waste shrinking meals. Cheeses, nuts, fruits, crunchy things keep the variety coming to the table. I steered away salad greens last week and dove into slaws, which can go much further than the standard sweet cream Cole slaw.
I took this dish from a long time favorite restaurant in Charleston, SC, Vickery’s lead and added in blue cheese to traditional Cole slaw, and then because I think nuts are supreme, but some of them in too.
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoon reduce fat mayonnaise, or regular, or nonfat, which ever your preference
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 12 ounces julienned vegetables, cabbage, broccoli, ect, pre bought or cut yourself
- 4 tablespoon reduce fat blue cheese, or regular
- 4 tablespoon toasted walnut pieces
In a mixing bowl add the first five ingredients and whisk well until combined. Add in the vegetables and toss well until lightly coated. Sprinkle the cheese and the walnuts and fold evenly. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
The longer the slaw sits, the more water leaches out of the vegetables. If you make the day before, reserve the blue cheese until you are ready to serve and give the slaw another toss so the dressing gets mixed again.
I know most people would say that I missed a very important ingredient…. Add the chopped bacon if you want, I know it is calling for a couple of tablespoons. Or maybe on a pork belly slider…
One thought on “Blue Cheese and Walnut Vegetable Slaw”
What a pretty slaw! I bet it *would* taste great on a pork belly slider!