Pimento cheese in the south is a staple. Every southern cook has “the best” recipe, kind of like chili, meatloaf, and BBQ sauce!
Southern Living recently ran a compilation of Pimento Cheese recipes from acclaimed Southern Chefs- I adapted Louis Osteen’s recipe. I somehow feel I have an attachment to him as I had a college roommate that worked at one of his restaurants, and I walked by the namesake restaurant daily. As a college student, I only had the opportunity to walk by Louis’s, never dine!
- 3 cups freshly grated sharp Cheddar cheese ( 1/2 lb.)
- 2-oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon grated yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 oz whole peeled pimento, drained and rinsed
In a food processor combine all ingredients and pulse until desired texture. You can also use a electric mixer to blend.
Serve with fresh breads or crackers
Yield is about 1 ½ cups